.

This blog is here to document my latest 2009 project, an extensive recreation of the Disney 1954 movie 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea through a series of detailed miniature dioramas, all contained under my model railroad table. This will be a "crawl-thru" type attraction (What is a crawl-thru? Read about it here).

Like Disney, I usually tend to keep everything under-wraps until I unveil the final product at the end. However, by keeping everything a secret, I end up not taking any photos of my projects and it is often disappointing to not have any documentation in the end showing how everything worked and was constructed. This time, however, I will document every step in the process of the creation of the project with photos and drawings (and maybe some video) illustrating each leg of the construction. Even though the posts here will be chock-full of spoilers, it will show the amount of work that goes into this and other projects--which is often under-appreciated.

This blog includes weekly updates that consisted of notes, ideas, photos, and maybe some video of what was worked on each week up until the estimated completion date of December 2009. (It was officially finished on December 10th, 2009).

March 14, 2009

Construction--Day 1

Today is the official 1st day of construction. In these photos, the empty "show building" has the path marked out, ready for the scenes. 


2 comments:

Larry Brooks said...

Wanted to say that I think your dioramas are stunning, just beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with the squid & Vulcania. BTW, I'm Larry Brooks, moderator of Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Yahoo movie group http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/DISNEYS_20-000_Leagues/ If you need any research help (finding photos with greater detail), please email me at cyberlarry7@yahoo.com Keep up the great work!

Sam Towler said...

Thanks Larry, I appreciate your feedback. I'll be sure to stop by at the Yahoo Group if I need any reference info/photos!